Sedation dentistry is used for a variety of procedures, but the first reason it’s typically used is due to a fear of the dentist, or odontophobia. More than half of Americans report experiencing dental fear in some capacity, which may stem from an earlier trauma at the dentist. Other reasons people choose sedation dentistry range from having a sensitive gag reflex to wishing to combine multiple dental procedures into one single, relaxing visit. However, if you have significant oral health concerns or a low pain threshold, we may recommend sedation dentistry for your overall comfort during lengthy treatment.
At Wood Creek Dental, we offer nitrous gas and other comfort measures to all of our patients, but for those needing more intervention for their comfort and treatment, we offer controlled IV sedation. We believe IV sedation administered by an experienced and well-trained anesthesia professional is the best way to maintain your comfort during dental treatments. IV sedation dentistry is customized to your needs and provides greater control over managing your pain and anxiety, while enabling our dentists to focus completely on your dental treatment.
Some of the dental procedures for which sedation may be recommended or requested include:
- Tooth extractions, such as wisdom teeth
- Dental implants
- Porcelain veneers
- Root canals
- Periodontal (gum) treatment
- Reconstructive oral surgery
- General dentistry care for those with severe tooth sensitivity
Is IV Sedation Dentistry Right for You?
Whether or not our dentists in Greenville recommend sedation dentistry for you depends on your level of anxiety, but also on these factors:
- Length of treatment: If it’s been a while since you’ve been in the dentist’s chair, you may need several treatments to restore your oral health. Those procedures may require sedation to keep you comfortable and help you relax.
- Your Medical History: IV sedation may not be right for you if you have COPD, are morbidly obese, have a pacemaker or stent, are going under regular dialysis or have other serious illnesses which may interfere and complicate sedation. Your current medications and supplements you’re taking also play a role in sedation dentistry. You’ll need to disclose this information to our dentists to make sure it’s the safest option for your oral and overall health.
- American Dental Association Restrictions: A part of your medical history or an aspect of your lifestyle may increase your risks and candidacy for IV sedation. Generally, healthy, non-smoking, light-drinking adults are good candidates for sedation dentistry. If you’re pregnant, have mild lung disease, are obese or a smoker, we may need to consult with your physician before determining if sedation is right for your treatment plan.
Contact Our Sedation Dentist in Greenville
Wood Creek Dental partners with Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) to make sure our patients interested in sedation dentistry have a safe option for anxiety-free dental care. You don’t have to stay away from the dentist because of fear or anxiety anymore. You deserve a beautiful smile regardless of past dental traumas, phobias or sensitivities.
Contact our sedation dentist in Greenville today at (864) 288-5300 to schedule your appointment and find out if sedation dentistry is right for you. Wood Creek Dental serves patients in Greenville and surrounding areas of North Carolina and South Carolina.