If the thought of visiting the dentist causes you to feel anxious or nervous, you are not alone. Many people avoid necessary dental care because of dental anxiety. However, allowing fear or embarrassment to stand in the way of your oral health needs can increase your risk of serious dental issues and other health conditions.
Wood Creek Dental understands the impact of dental anxiety on our patients. We are committed to ensuring your dental visits are as safe and comfortable as possible. We will work with you to help you overcome your dental anxiety, from providing a calm and comforting environment, to offering safe and effective sedation dentistry options.
Recognize the Signs of Dental Anxiety
One of the first critical steps to overcoming dental anxiety is recognizing that you experience it. Signs of dental anxiety can include:
- Postponing visits to the dentist until you are in severe pain
- Having trouble sleeping the night before a dental appointment
- Feeling uneasy while waiting in the dental office
- Feeling physically ill when thinking about going to the dentist
- Having difficulty breathing when you’re in the treatment chair, undergoing dental care
Identify the Cause of Your Dental Fear
Once you realize that you suffer from dental anxiety, it can beneficial to identify to root cause of your fear. This will help you overcome it. Dental anxiety often stems from a past traumatic dental experience and often includes a fear of:
- Loss of personal space
- Loss of control
Take Control of Your Fear and Dental Health
Dental anxiety can be managed. You don’t have to do it alone. Our compassionate dentists and staff at Wood Creek Dental understand your fears, and we are dedicated to helping you overcome them. Steps you can take to deal with your dental anxiety include:
- Sharing your concerns: Share your dental fears with our staff during that first phone call and then discuss them with the dentist on your first visit. Ask questions about your oral health and any necessary treatment. Understanding what to expect in advance can demystify the process and reduce your anxiety.
- Making a plan: We will work with you to address your concerns and help you receive the dental care and treatment you need. We offer a variety of options to make you feel more comfortable during treatment, including sedation dentistry. We provide headphones so you can listen to your favorite music, and we offer blankets and pillows to help you feel more relaxed.
Sedation Dentistry Options to Manage Anxiety
Wood Creek Dental offers the following safe and effective sedation dentistry options:
- Nitrous oxide: Often referred to as laughing gas, this type of sedation is commonly used for mildly-anxious patients. The sedative agent is combined with oxygen and inhaled through a small mask that fits comfortably over the nose.
- IV Sedation: This option may be ideal for patients with higher levels of dental anxiety. IV sedation is administered and monitored by a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) to ensure the highest levels of safety and comfort.
Contact Wood Creek Dental Today
Wood Creek Dental offers sedation dentistry to patients in our Greenville, South Carolina location, serving patients in the surrounding Upstate areas. Call us today at 864-288-5300 to schedule your exam and consultation.